Friday, October 6, 2017


This book was just lovely. It saved me on my 9 hour flight from Venice to Canada where I hadn't downloaded the app to watch movies on the plane. I freaked out for a minute then realized I had this book to read!

It is set in Ireland as the author is a famous Irish novelist. Chicky is a girl who leaves her homeland for New York and returns years later. She buys an old house and sets up a bed and breakfast. The story begins with her story, and then each chapter is the background and story of characters who come to stay at her bed and breakfast for a week in winter. It really is like reading a bunch of short stories, but they all connect somehow. Characters are mentioned in others chapters and then you get to learn their background during their own chapter. Well written and an easy read. It was fun and made me think about going to Ireland someday, but not in winter!

1 comment:

  1. I read this one in June 2015 and really, really like it!! I'm like you and want to take a trip to Ireland and stay in a country inn. I have flown through Shannon, Ireland, so I saw the country from the air, but it seems like such a beautiful place. I recently read Brooklyn by Colm Toibin about an Irish girl who emigrates to Brooklyn. It was a "coming of age" story and they made a fun movie out of it. Her morals are questionable, but I liked the writing style of it.

    ReplyDelete